1. Design of Coastal Nature Based Solution
2. Valuation of the Biosphere – Ecological Value Stacking
3. Regenerative Management Tools
1. Design of Coastal Nature Based Solutions
The Weather Makers are experienced in designing Nature-Based Solutions at the coast
Water quality improvement
Sequestration of greenhouse gases
Regenerative fish catch
We are unique in applying engineering and execution methods for ecological poly-cultures fully integrated with dredging and reclamation works, such that it can be combined with other infrastructural projects. We strive to improve the water quality by mimicking nature, reinforcing natural processes and, boosting biodiversity through intelligent re-use of sediments in combination with eco-machine technologies.
WE CAN OFFER YOU
• Practical dredging methods (equipment, cut/fill balance, etc) as a starting point for large scale ecological development; • We have a multi-disciplinary engineering team and an extensive worldwide network • We provide low tech practical implementation methods; • We develop holistic business cases: use ecosystem function as a bases for sustainable harvesting of ecosystem services; • We deliver adaptive management solutions for stakeholders, based on monitoring;
2. Valuation of the Biosphere - Ecological Value Stacking
Restoration of the biosphere creates ecological values, including important UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The growth of the biosphere, or increase in biomass and soil organic matter, accumulates greenhouse gases (SDG 13 Climate Action). A larger and stronger resilient biosphere allows the growth of complex life forms and biodiverse food webs (SDGs 14 & 15: Life below water & Life on land). Increasing infiltration and retention of water improves water availability and quality (SDG 6: Clean water and sanitation). This is applicable to almost every project that includes earthworks.
WE DISTINGUISH THREE MAIN CATEGORIES FOR THE VALUATION OF THE BIOSPHERE
BIOMASS – WATER – BIODIVERSITY
We can offer to value your project in relation to its role within the biosphere and the contribution to weather and climate following the above three categories. We create a framework to quantify the project’s contribution to carbon sequestration, water quality, water availability, water safety, biodiversity, all based on the recycling of nutrients, ecological growth and natural (food web) relations.
WE DELIVER A PROJECT SPECIFIC HOLISTIC FRAMEWORK THAT CAN SUPPORT POLICY MAKERS AND DEVELOPERS IN DIFFERENT PHASES OF THE PROJECT
• Development: Selection of alternatives (e.g. in infrastructural projects, which alternative is best for biosphere, weather and climate?); • Procurement: As part of the Best Value Procurement within the tender process. • Execution: Dedicated monitoring to follow up the design during execution and validate the added values to the biosphere of the project.
On April 1st 2022 the consortium consisting of the Triodos Regenerative Money Centre, KplusV and The Weather Makers made an offer to the municipality of ‘s-Hertogenbosch to use the methodology Ecological Value Stacking as a foundation to develop the right financial instruments and governance structures to regenerate the Henriëttewaard. With the Ecological Value Stacking methodology we make it possible to model, calculate and monitor the benefits generated by ecosystem regeneration.
You can download the offer here: “Aanbod Natuurpark Henriëttewaard”. (Dutch only)
3. Regenerative Management Tools
The Weather Makers believe that every person involved in the regeneration and management of the ecosystem can provide an optimal value to the process when there is an environment of trust and respect. We build trust by monitoring and providing transparent results to all stakeholders involved by implementation of a Pro-Active Adaptive Realisation® (PAAR) methodology. This enables all stakeholders to give input to the system that is acted upon.